Table of Contents
Many of you probably like eating eggs which provide nutritional benefits. But being a pet owner, you might wonder, can hamsters eat scrambled eggs?
Yes, hamsters can eat scrambled eggs if cooked properly. Scrambled eggs contain many ingredients like salt, water, butter, milk, and cream.
While serving scrambled eggs to your hammy, avoid adding any of these ingredients. These ingredients can hurt your hamster’s stomach and result in other health conditions.
Can hamsters eat scrambled eggs? Are eggs beneficial for your hammy? Let’s explore here a little bit more about this topic.
Best Scrambled Eggs for Hamsters
Can hamsters eat scrambled eggs? Here’s the answer to this question.
Most people like scrambled eggs with butter and salt to enhance their flavor. Cheese, cream, or milk make these eggs more delicious. But the problem is that these ingredients can harm your little hammy.
Scrambled eggs are okay for hamsters to eat as long as they are served plain without additional ingredients. Consuming salt, cheese, or milk can upset your hamster’s stomach and cause diarrhea. Unfortunately, the long-term effects can be more severe.
Are Eggs Good for Hamsters?
Can hamsters eat scrambled eggs? Do eggs provide any benefits to hamsters?
Yes, eggs are quite beneficial for hamsters, and here’s how:
- Eggs contain an essential nutrient called choline which is necessary for synthesizing cell membranes and neurotransmitters in the brain. Improper choline intake results in muscle damage and fatty liver and can cause neurological disorders. Egg yolk is a rich nutrient source that can prevent your pet from these problems.
- Egg increases the amount of good cholesterol in a hamster’s body, called HDL. High amounts of HDL reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Eggs are also loaded with antioxidants called zeaxanthin and lutein. These antioxidants protect your hammy’s eyes from diseases such as cataracts.
- Eggs also have vitamin A, which keeps a hamster’s immune system and eyes healthy.
- Eggs are also a rich source of protein as they contain essential amino acids that aid the body in utilizing the proteins found in eggs.
- Eggs also have minerals like calcium and iron that are crucial for the body’s functions.
Are There Any Risks of Eating Eggs For Hamsters?
Although eggs are a great source of protein, their consumption leads to the following problems in hamsters:
- Cholesterol present in eggs increases the cholesterol present in the body. That’s why feeding too many eggs can cause cancer, diabetes, obesity, and other heart problems in hamsters.
- As eggs are a rich source of protein, protein overconsumption leads to kidney damage.
- Eating eggs makes the hamster’s body prone to bacteria like salmonella. Bacteria can cause numerous problems in hamsters, like gas, bloating, and diarrhea.
- As eggs are sticky, therefore, they can cause choking.
Do You Know?
Hamsters can eat a variety of foods, and we have researched lots of them. Check out this One: What meat can hamsters eat?
How Much Scrambled Eggs Are Enough for Hamsters?
Unlike humans, hamsters can’t eat too many scrambled eggs. Therefore, while serving hamsters scrambled eggs, remember moderation is key. Considering this, a half teaspoon twice a week is enough for your hammy.
Make sure to give only plain scrambled eggs and not have any ingredients. Hamsters can eat hardboiled eggs if you give another alternative having the same requirements.
Can Hamsters Eat Raw Eggs?
Avoid feeding your hammy raw eggs as they contain bacteria such as E.coli or Salmonella. That’s why consuming raw eggs results in problems like diarrhea and stomach upset. To remain safe, feed your hammy only cooked eggs, not raw ones.
Can Hamsters Eat Eggshells?
Egg shells are composed of calcium carbonate. In excessive amounts, calcium increases the risk of kidney stones and leads to kidney failure.
In addition, eggshells also damage your hammy’s mouth and throat as they are sharp. So, avoid feeding your hammy eggshells, as they aren’t a good choice for them.
Alternative Foods for Hamsters
Here are some alternatives that are good for your hammy:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Bok Choy
- Strawberries, raspberries, cherries
Moreover, if you don’t want to put your pet in trouble, keep him away from foods like:
- Grape seeds
- Apple seeds
Final Thoughts – Can hamsters eat scrambled eggs?
To sum up, can hamsters eat scrambled eggs? Yes, but make sure to feed them plain scrambled eggs. Adding ingredients like salt and butter makes them unhealthy for your hammy.
Although eggs are a rich source of protein, they have some risks for hamsters. You can feed a half teaspoon of scrambled eggs to hamsters twice a week. Alternatives like fresh fruits and vegetables are also good options for your pet.