Table of Contents
Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese? Who doesn’t love cheese? All our favorite food items like pizza, nachos, fries, or cakes are incomplete without the cheese. But can you share the cheese items with your pets too? Can your hamster like to have cheese, more specifically, its mozzarella flavor?
Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese? The good news is, yes, they can! The hamster will surely be thankful to you for giving them cheese treats. It is a kind of potato chip for them. Stay hooked to the blog because there is much more about hamsters and their crush on mozzarella cheese.
What’s Good In Mozzarella Cheese?
When offering cheese to your hammy, mozzarella cheese is one of the best options. Let’s discover the nutritional value and health benefits of mozzarella cheese:
- Mozzarella cheese contains a good portion of carbohydrates, proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, and saturated fats that are beneficial to maintain the overall health of your little hamster.
- It also provides some useful vitamins, including riboflavin, vitamin B12, vitamin A, vitamin B6, and folate. These vitamins are important for eyesight, red blood formation, and healthy growth of the body cells of hamsters.
- Mozzarella cheese also contains loads of vital minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium responsible for healthy bone formation in hamsters.
What’s Bad In Mozzarella Cheese?
Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese? Yes, they can! But in limited quantities. When overfed cheese exerts potential harm to the little pet’s health, let’s look at the problems arising from the high cheese intake.
- Kidney Diseases
Normally mozzarella cheese contains a very small amount of salt, about 40mg, in a single serving. However, if overfed, high sodium content leads to increased chances of blood pressure, dehydration, and kidney failure.
- Increased Cholesterol Level
Mozzarella cheese contains saturated fats, so overeating will raise the hamster’s cholesterol level, leading to heart attack and stroke.
Mozzarella cheese has less amount of fiber. Eating too much of it will make your hamster feel trouble on passing stool.
How Can You Serve Mozzarella Cheese To Your Hamster?
Like you, your little pal is also a cheese lover, so you have to learn how to offer cheese to your hammy. Here are some tips you should follow while preparing cheese treats for them:
- Make sure to buy a fresh pack of mozzarella cheese within its date from the grocery store.
- Store the cheese in the refrigerator.
- Place a block of plain cheese on a plate and make small pieces with a knife.
- Slowly introduce mozzarella cheese to their diet and observe their reaction. If hamsters show signs of abdominal discomfort like diarrhea or vomiting, then stop feeding them and consult your vet.
Do You Know?
Hamsters can eat a variety of foods, and we have researched lots of them. Check out this One: Can Hamsters Eat Green Grapes?
How Often Can You Give Mozzarella Cheese To Your Hamsters?
Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese? The Mozzarella cheese is a special treat for your furry friend and should be served only on special occasions. The amount of cheese you can offer your hammy depends on their size and age.
- Adult Hamster
For Robo or adult hamsters, 1-2 pea-size of cheese pieces is enough per week.
- Dwarf Hamster
If you have a dwarf hamster, a half-pea-size cheese piece is perfect after two weeks.
Which Type of Cheese Is Good For The Hamsters?
Besides mozzarella, some other good options for cheese for hamsters are:
- Cottage cheese
What Type Of Cheese Should Be Avoided?
Below are the cheese types you cannot give hamsters at any cost.
- Hard cheddar cheese
- Cheese-flavored snacks
- Stilton or blue cheese
Reason: parmesan, cheddar, and cheese-made snacks contain abundant salt and saturated fats. This will make your hamster extremely dehydrated, diabetic, and become overweight and constipated.
Stilton or blue cheese is a moldy type of cheese, and bacteria present in it will lead to toxicity issues in hamsters.
What About Mozzarella Cheese Puffs And Chews?
- Mozzarella Puffs
Since hamsters can eat mozzarella cheese, you might be curious if they can also have cheese puffs. Mozzarella puffs or cheese balls are tasty orange snacks made of mozzarella cheese. Hamsters cannot eat mozzarella puffs as it is junk food for them containing excessive salt and sugar in it.
- Mozzarella Chews
Mozzarella chews are cheese sticks made with veggies, seeds, and nuts. Hamsters can certainly eat mozzarella chews, which is a healthy and tasty treat for them.
Wrapping Up – Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese?
Can hamsters eat mozzarella cheese? Of course, they can but in minute quantities. Mozzarella is a soft cheese that provides a good package of fats, vitamins, and minerals that positively impact the hamster’s health.
There are some cheese items that you must keep your hammy to stay away from them. Otherwise, it will adversely affect their health.