Table of Contents
Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon? Watermelon is a refreshing juicy summer fruit everyone loves. You probably want to make your hamster feel fresh in sizzling summers by offering them this pulpy fruit.
But is it ok to feed this tiny creature with watermelon, particularly when you own the dwarf breed?
Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon? Yes, indeed, they can! All breeds of hamsters, either Syrian, roborovski, or dwarf ones, are perfectly ok with watermelon given in limited quantities. Keep reading till the end to find out more about hamsters and watermelons.
What’s Good About Watermelon?
Watermelon is a perfect treat when it comes to selecting a healthy snack for hamsters. It is a natural gift packed with all essential vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids that are equally beneficial for humans and hamsters. Let’s shed light on some of its health benefits:
- Prevent Scurvy
Watermelon provides a good source of vitamin C. This vitamin is essential for hamsters as it prevents them from getting the hamster’s common disease called scurvy.
- Proper Hydration
As the name indicates, watermelons contain 99% of water. Thus feeding your hamsters with watermelon keeps them fully hydrated in hot weather.
- Relief From Digestive Problems
Watermelon rind provides an abundant amount of nutrients like betaine and zinc. These nutrients relieve hamsters from getting digestive issues like cramps and diarrhea.
- Blood Formation
Watermelon also contains a handsome amount of iron and folate. Iron keeps the blood of hamsters in a healthy state, while folate is responsible for red blood cell formation in their body.
- Healthy Heart
Lycopene is a carotenoid present in watermelons which imparts the red color. Lycopene reduces blood pressure as well as cholesterol level. Watermelon is also a source of an amino acid called citrulline, which keeps blood pressure low and is suitable for heart health.
- Collagen Production
The other important task that watermelon offer is collagen production. In addition, watermelon boosts the circulatory system’s health and fights off various infections in the hamster’s body.
Do You Know?
Hamsters can eat a variety of foods, and we have researched lots of them. Check out this One: Can Hamsters Eat Salted Sunflower Seeds?
What Happens When Dwarf Hamsters Consume Too Many Watermelons?
Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon? Yes, it is safe for a dwarf hamster to consume watermelon when given in small amounts. A tiny piece of watermelon once a week is okay for them. But excess consumption can be risky.
Here are the risks associated with overfeeding watermelon to a hamster.
- Hamsters can quickly gain weight since watermelon is a sugary fruit, so overfeeding will make them obese, which shortens their life expectancy.
- Dwarf hamsters are more prone to type II diabetes. Too much sugar in watermelon will make them diabetic.
- Dwarf hamsters are so tiny and delicate that if fed with large pieces of watermelon can face the risk of choking.
- Watermelon has high water content, and overeating will cause diarrhea in hamsters. In extreme cases, diarrhea will worsen and lead to a disease known as wet tails.
How To Serve Watermelon To Your Dwarf Hamsters?
Here is how you can serve watermelon, your little pal.
- Choose a fresh watermelon from an organic source.
- Rinse the outer surface thoroughly to remove any pesticide on the fruit’s skin.
- Remove the outer rind and cut the fruit into small pieces. You can also make small bite size of pieces of rind and give them to hamsters.
- Choose the red portion of watermelon for hamsters as it contains lycopene and is highly beneficial.
- Discard the seeds in the fruit.
- Please don’t mix it with yogurt or juice. Just serve watermelon in plain form.
- The watermelon snack is now ready to serve your little buddy.
What About Watermelon Seeds, Rind, And Juice?
Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon? Yes, they can! But whether the watermelon seeds, rind, and juice are safe for hamster consumption.
- Watermelon Seeds
NO! The dwarf hamster cannot eat watermelon seeds because of the presence of phenolic acid, which is carcinogenic and very toxic for the little pet.
- Watermelon Rind
The outer green rind of the watermelon is hard to digest. However, your hamster can easily chew the inner white flesh of the rind.
- Watermelon Juice
No, the dwarf hamster cannot drink watermelon juice as it contains high sugar, which increases the risk of obesity and diabetes.
Wrapping Up – Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon?
”Can dwarf hamsters eat watermelon?” Yes, they can. Watermelon contains nutrients and offers many health benefits to your furry friend.
However, keep in mind that dwarf hamsters have tiny stomachs, and when overfed, watermelon can cause serious problems. So moderation is the key to keeping your hamster healthy and relishing the fruit simultaneously.