Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

  • Post category:Dogs
  • Post comments:0 Comments
  • Reading time:9 mins read

Can dogs eat white chocolate? The beloved pooch to pet owners can be fatally injured on taking white chocolate. Hence, the fact is common among many, restraining many from exposing their pets to small amounts of chocolate. The case has also been similar for milk and dark chocolates, citing common reasons.

For example, white chocolate contains more sugar than dark chocolate. White chocolates are made from cocoa butter, a form of fat extracted from the cocoa bean. The fact is that white chocolate has fewer cocoa solids, which makes it less healthy than the dark variety.

However, it must be noted that both dark and white chocolates have the same calories. The calories are as harmful to dogs as they are to humans. In addition, dogs can be harmed by the caffeine and theobromine found in white chocolate. The harm gives direction when responding to; can dogs eat white chocolate?


Dangers of White Chocolate to Dogs

Can dogs eat white chocolate? Theobromine is an alkaloid found in chocolate and cocoa beans. Alkaloid is known to dilate blood vessels, which leads to a faster heart rate, increased blood pressure, and trembling. The caffeine in chocolate also causes increased heart rate, blood pressure, tremors, and irregular or rapid heartbeat.

It also causes vomiting and diarrhea, leading to dehydration in dogs, especially if the dog has eaten a lot of the substance. When ingested by dogs, theobromine leads to vomiting within 1-3 hours after ingestion, followed by diarrhea after 4-6 hours, and the tremors usually start within the first 8 hours.

The dog will also likely experience cardiac issues in taking approximately 40mg of theobromine. Some common cardiac problems in dogs include racing heart rate and irregular heartbeat.

Theobromine also dilates blood vessels in the brain, leading to a decrease in blood pressure. The drop can cause weakness and even unconsciousness. The dangers directly respond to the question, can dogs eat white chocolate?

Symptoms of Poisoning from White Chocolate

Can dogs eat white chocolate? Dogs are likely to experience various symptoms after ingesting white chocolate, including vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, tremors, cardiac issues such as racing heart rate and increased heart rate, weakness, and even unconsciousness.

The symptoms are likely to occur within 1-6 hours after ingestion of white chocolate by dogs. Dogs that have eaten high amounts of white chocolate can suffer from acute renal failure. In this situation, the kidneys do not filter out wastes in the body, leading to increased levels of waste products in the blood.

Did you Know?

We have written many articles about what dogs can eat. But did you know about this one? Can Dogs Eat Red Peppers?

Seizures are also a common symptom of white chocolate poisoning in dogs. The seizures can happen due to high levels of theobromine in the blood.

Dogs are also likely to experience severe muscle rigidity after ingesting white chocolate. Some dogs are also expected to experience hypothermia, where the body temperature drops below normal.
Dogs are also likely to suffer from respiratory issues due to the caffeine present in white chocolate.

How Much is White Chocolate Dangerous to Dogs?

Can dogs eat white chocolate? It is important to note that the quantity of white chocolate harmful to dogs depends on the dog’s size. The amount of chocolate that can prove fatal for a dog depends on its weight. For example, it has been reported that a small-sized dog weighing 2 pounds can die from taking as little as 0.5 ounces of white chocolate.

It has also been reported that a medium-sized dog weighing about 50 pounds can die from taking approximately one pound of white chocolate. A large-sized dog weighing about 100 pounds can die from taking around 5 pounds of white chocolate at once.

The amount of chocolate that can kill a dog is 0.25 – 1 pound for every 10 pounds. The statistics mean that a 20-pound dog can ingest up to 2 pounds of chocolate and still survive. However, when dogs consume more than 1 or 2 pounds of chocolate, they risk death.

Many experts recommend against feeding any chocolates and candies to dogs because they contain harmful and fatal substances, especially if taken in excess amounts.

However, when a dog sneaks and picks chocolate, it is vital to track how much chocolate you feed your dog to avoid any fatal incident.

Treatment of White Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has eaten a small amount of white chocolate, it may be able to pass the substance out naturally, so there is no need for treatment.

However, suppose your dog has eaten a large amount of white chocolate. In that case, it can be treated by inducing vomiting within 4-6 hours after ingestion and then giving activated charcoal to prevent the substance’s absorption into the body.


Your veterinarian may also induce diarrhea to flush out more of the chocolate from your dog’s system and give IV fluids to prevent dehydration in dogs. Dogs with low blood sugar may need to receive glucose.

Those with seizures may need anticonvulsants such as phenobarbital or potassium bromide, depending on the severity of their condition and whether they are having multiple seizures.

Are white chocolates safe for dogs as it is for human beings? White chocolates are very delicious to eat, and most people love them. However, you should be aware of their dangers if your dog gets to eat them, as it may lead to death for your dog.

Therefore, dog owners should be cautious when bringing dogs around people who eat white chocolates as they may get curious and try to taste or even sniff them. The dogs may eat some of the chocolates, leading to their death.

Leave a Reply