Table of Contents
Can dogs eat sour cream? Sour cream is popularly used as a topping for baked potatoes, nachos, and other things. Dogs are curious about what we eat and love to share our food.
You might have noticed your pup licking its lips while you eat sour cream. Dogs love creamy food. But, you might have heard that dogs should not consume dairy products. But is sour cream beneficial for them? Can dogs eat Sour Cream?
The short answer is yes, sour cream is non-toxic for your pooch and won’t be a problem for most healthy dogs. Sour cream is a good source of nutrients, providing various health benefits.
But, always ensure to feed sour cream to your pup in small quantities. Feeding something new food to your dogs in large quantities might have worse adverse effects like upset stomach, lack of appetite, etc.
As a dog owner, if you are thinking, Can dogs eat Sour Cream? Why do dogs like to lick sour cream? Is it non-toxic for them? Here is the answer to all your questions. Let’s begin.
Is Sour Cream Safe for Dogs?
Can dogs eat Sour Cream? Let’s discuss some interesting facts. Nothing to worry about if your pup snatches some sour cream from your table.
Sour cream is not harmful to dogs in small amounts as long as they are not lactose intolerant. Always keep an eye on your pup and how much it is consuming sour cream. It is recommended to use low-fat and plain sour cream.
However, always remember that sour cream is a fermented dairy product made from regular cream, fermented using bacteria and acetic acid.
The bacteria added to the cream gives a unique taste to the cream by consuming sugar in the cream. Generally, it is safe for dogs to be fed in a moderate amount.
But, you should avoid overfeeding sour cream to your puppy, especially when they already have stomach problems.
Nutritional Facts of Sour Cream
You might be wondering Can dogs eat Sour Cream? Sour cream provides calcium, minerals, and other vitamins.
Therefore, it is important to know that it is not a good source of nutritional benefits for your puppy and should be fed only as an occasional treat. Following are the nutritional facts about sour cream.
Sour cream has lots of calories. Two tablespoons of sour cream contain about 60 to 90 calories. If you have a large dog, you should avoid giving sour cream, which can make it overweight and cause medical problems like diabetes.
Did you Know?
We have written many articles about what dogs can eat. But did you know about this one? Can Dogs Eat Pizza Crust?
· Along with calories, sour cream is rich in saturated fat, one of the unhealthy fats increasing high cholesterol levels. Sour cream may provide a small amount of protein and other nutrients. But, be careful it also contains fat.
· Many sour cream products have rennin, gelatin, and vegetable enzymes, used as additives to preserve consistency and shelf-life. These additives might not harm your pup but provide no nutritional benefits.
Health Risks of Feeding Dogs Sour Cream
As a pet owner, you might be conscious about Can dogs eat Sour Cream? Following are some potential risks associated with a dog’s health.
· Sour cream is very high in fat content. If your dog consumes sour cream regularly, it may have weight issues, diabetes, and osteoarthritis. Arthritic dogs may have an extra load on old joints that can cause difficulty in mobility.
· Sour cream may cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs because of its high-fat content. Dogs having sensitive stomachs may experience vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog has a history of pancreatitis, you should avoid high-fat foods.
· If your pup goes well with dairy products, then a small amount of sour cream won’t cause any health issues. However, if your dog is lactose intolerant, it may have difficulty digesting dairy, causing gas, vomiting, and diarrhea.
· Different types of sour cream vary from organic to low fat. Dairy products with artificial sweeteners can be extremely toxic to dogs resulting in xylitol poisoning, including weakness, vomiting, lack of coordination, and even coma.
Final Thoughts – Can dogs eat sour cream?
To sum up, Can dogs eat sour cream? Like other dairy products, sour cream is a delicious addition to most human dishes, providing calcium and other nutrients that are beneficial for bones and tooth development.
However, it contains these nutrients in small amounts and does not provide the essential nutrients to dogs.
Generally, it is safe for your dog but in a moderate amount. You should pay attention to overall high calories and fat content, which may cause worse health effects.
If they are lactose intolerant and you don’t know about it, feed them a small portion first and observe how they handle it. Feeding sour cream to your pups as an occasional treat is recommended.