Pinto beans are tiny beans with striped skins and are brown in color. When cooked, they lose their streaked skins and resemble other beans, such as red beans. However, they have a nuttier buttery flavor, making them tastier.
The answer to whether can dogs eat pinto beans is YES. Pinto beans contain nutrients and proteins such as iron, potassium, and vitamin B, which benefit dogs’ health. They contain cholesterol-lowering fiber, which helps improve digestion.
Just like humans love eating various food, dogs can get bored eating the same meal daily. It is advisable to feed your dog different types of a meal to enjoy eating. Providing your dog with various meals also helps improve their health and gives them a balanced diet.
Pinto beans help add a variety of proteins to your dog’s food. Rather than giving your dog meat every day, you can consider serving them other proteins such as pinto beans which will help improve their appetite and health. They are among protein foods that are healthy to feed your dog.
This article will answer your question can dogs eat pinto beans and equally help you understand the benefits of pinto beans and how to prepare and feed your dog pinto beans.
How to Prepare Pinto Beans for Your Dog
- Ensure you soak the beans in water overnight or for a period of 4 to six hours. It will make sure the beans are soft to make them easier for cooking. It will enable you to avoid serving uncooked dog beans. Do not add any spices when cooking pinto beans.
- Add a few tablespoons to your dog’s bowl or pair them with meals such as rice and oatmeal you have prepared for your dog. It will help your dog tolerate the food since some dogs do not love pinto beans. Adding a few beans will also make the dog get used to the taste of the pinto beans.
You can also serve your dog the pinto beans as snacks. Your dog will love the beans. Smash the beans before feeding to the dog to avoid choking. It will make it easier for your dog to eat the beans, especially the tiny breed pets.
Did you Know?
We have written many articles about what dogs can eat. But did you know about this one? Can Dogs Eat Cheerios?
Benefits Of Feeding Your Dog Pinto Beans
Pinto beans have lots of nutrients that are beneficial to your dog. Some of these health benefits are;
- They contain proteins that help improve the dog’s muscle development, helps enhance their skin and boost their energy.
- They are low in cholesterol and fat; this helps you balance your dog’s weight and avoid diseases such as cardiovascular diseases.
- They are rich in antioxidants; thus, they help slow down your dog’s aging process.
- They help promote the heart health of your dogs since they are rich in fiber. Fiber also aids in digestion.
Tastiness – Can Dogs Eat Pinto Beans?
Pinto beans have a buttery and nuttier flavor and are tastier than other beans. Their taste helps to improve the appetite of your dog.
Cheap – Can Dogs Eat Pinto Beans?
Pinto beans are inexpensive and readily affordable. They help you minimize the cost of your pet’s food since you can buy them raw and prepare them in the comfort of your house. They are easy to prepare. They can be easily found in stores.
What to Avoid When Feeding Pinto Beans to Your Dog
Although pinto beans are suitable for your dog, here are some of the things you should take into consideration before feeding your dog;
- Do not feed your pet raw beans. It may cause vomiting, excessive gas, and bloating, and your pet may experience nausea. Ensure the beans are well cooked before feeding your dog since they will make digesting easier. To achieve this, soak your beans overnight before cooking them.
- Avoid feeding your pet too many beans. Pinto beans are high in calories; thus, feeding your dog less than 10% of beans will help minimize your dog’s calorie intake.
- Do not replace other sources of protein for your dog with pinto beans.
- Avoid feeding your dog canned or baked pinto beans. Canned pinto beans have added preservatives, salt, and sugar which can cause harm to your dog. If you give the dog canned beans, ensure you rinse them thoroughly to remove the preservatives.
Conclusion – Can Dogs Eat Pinto Beans?
Pinto beans are high in nutrients and provide many health benefits for your pet. They are cheap and affordable and easy to prepare. It is okay to feed them your dog, but you should be careful with the portion you give to your dog.