Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows?

Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows
  • Post category:Dogs
  • Post comments:0 Comments
  • Reading time:8 mins read

No, dogs should not consume marshmallows. Although there aren’t any toxic ingredients that are present in the sweet treat, marshmallows can not improve the health or well-being of dogs, according to Some pet owners may find one marshmallow to not be harmful, but medical professionals recommend avoiding feeding any type of unnatural sugar or treat to all types of dog breeds.

Why are Marshmallows Bad for Dogs?

Marshmallows are not recommended for dogs because they contain unhealthy and unnatural ingredients that can lead to adverse effects in animals, according to Although they may be safe for humans to eat, they can pose a threat to animals because they can be difficult to chew and digest.

The unhealthy ingredients used to make marshmallows can threaten the health and vitality of the dog. The most common ingredients found in all brands of marshmallows include sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and gelatin.

closeup photo of marshmallows on bowl

Some brands of sugar-free or keto marshmallows even contain xylitol, which can threaten your dog’s health and lead to toxic symptoms almost immediately. Dogs should never consume this type of processed sugar because it can lead to harmful effects on the body, even when it’s consumed in small amounts.

This ingredient is known to cause blood sugar to drop and can even lead to seizures, which can be fatal. The liver can be negatively affected by xylitol, and the ingredient can stay in the system for several days after it’s consumed.

Marshmallows are also high in calories and can lead to weight gain in dogs that are already overweight or diabetic. They can contribute to insulin resistance, which can lead to death in extreme cases.

Any type of food that contains a lot of sugar and is made for humans is never a good idea to feed to dogs. When you want to reward or spoil your dog, it’s important to opt for healthier fruits and vegetables that are natural and easy to digest. Blueberries, carrots, and grapes are safe for dogs to consume, even in larger portions.

Marshmallows are also dangerous for dogs to consume because they can be a choking hazard. Smaller breeds can have difficulty chewing marshmallows due to their size.

Symptoms of Marshmallow Toxicity

It’s important to understand what can occur when you’re wondering, “Can dogs eat marshmallows?” Some of the top symptoms that are associated with marshmallow toxicity include:

  • Digestive upset
  • Vomiting
  • Agitation
  • Fatigue
  • A lack of balance
  • Tremors or convulsions

Do You Know?

Lots of snacks are safe for dogs, but some snacks you should just not give your pet. We sat down and did some research and our vet has verified it: Can Dogs Eat Mango?

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Marshmallows?

If your dog has ingested marshmallows, it’s important to act quickly to prevent their condition from getting worse and putting their life at risk. Immediately schedule an appointment with their veterinarian to ensure they can be examined and obtain proper treatment with the help of a medical professional.

You’ll need to make a note of any symptoms your dog is experiencing after consuming marshmallows to communicate it along to the vet. The vet may want to perform an x-ray to determine how many marshmallows have been consumed and where they’re located in the digestive tract.

In many cases, vomiting will be induced at the vet’s office to remove the marshmallows from their stomach. Although this can take several hours to perform, it can prevent GI obstruction, pancreatitis, and gastrointestinal upset. If GI obstruction has already occurred, the pet may need to undergo surgery to restore its health.

dog sitting in front of campfire waiting for marshmellows
Dog by a bonfire

Unfortunately, dogs are often drawn to marshmallows and find them to be appetizing due to their sweet flavor and their soft texture. The soft texture of the food is similar to chew toys, which can cause them to attract pests in the home. It’s important to keep them out of sight and in a location that the animal cannot reach.


Leave a Reply