Table of Contents
Can dogs eat guava? Guava is an amazing fruit having green skin and bright pink flesh. Is it famous for its nutritious properties to humans? But have you ever thought, Can dogs eat guava?
Yes, they can eat guava but in a moderate amount. You can give this fruit as an occasional treat to your pet. But make sure to remove the rind and seeds before serving. However, overconsumption leads to various health problems in your pet.
If you want to know more about it, Can dogs eat guava? This article will help you a lot and answer all your questions. So, let’s begin.
Can Dogs Eat Guava?
You might wonder, can you share some of it with your dog while eating or drinking guava juice? Well, here is the answer to this question.
Dogs can safely consume guava in moderation and as a treat. Although it provides numerous benefits, the high amount of sugar results in weight gain. There is a variety of guavas that pet owners offer to their puppies. But avoid giving them guava paste as it is rich in sugar.
Let’s have a look at how this fruit is beneficial for your pet.
Are Guavas Good For Dogs?
Can dogs eat guava? What are their benefits to your pet? Let us explain this to you.
- Guava is a great source of nutrients and vitamins for your dog’s diet. It contains various nutrients like vitamin A, C, E, K, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc copper.
- It also consists of necessary fiber that prevents digestive issues such as constipation. On the other hand, overeating can cause diarrhea.
- Vitamin C present in guava promotes a healthy immune system.
- Because of vitamin A and K, guava aids in maintaining healthy eyes, bones, and blood clotting.
- Magnesium is quite good for your dog having stiff or aching muscles.
Potential Risks of Feeding Guavas to Dogs
As discussed above, guava contains all essential nutrients for humans and dogs. But you should avoid feeding it regularly to your pet. Here’s why:
Eating too much guava leads to gastrointestinal issues causing upset stomach and diarrhea.
Moreover, every 100 grams of guava have 8.92g of sugar and 14.32g of carbohydrates. So, consuming too much sugar leads to weight gain and blood sugar problems.
Thus, being a pet owner, keep an eye on how much guava your pet eats to avoid any problems.
Did you Know?
We have written many articles about what dogs can eat. But did you know about this one? Can Dogs Eat Cereal?
How Many Guavas Can Your Dog Eat?
A general rule is that snacks and treats shouldn’t comprise more than 10% of your dog’s diet. So, feeding too many guavas means feeding your dog too much sugar, which isn’t good. Therefore, giving your dog a few small pieces of guava a couple of times a week is good.
What Types of Guava Are Safe For Dogs?
There are different types of guavas present. These include:
It is a common type of guava and usually looks like a pear.
It is green-oval-shaped guava having mint and pineapple flavor, thus called pineapple guava. Its flesh is yellowish.
This guava has a resemblance to green apple or pear. It has white flesh with a creamy consistency.
This type of guava has pink flesh and green rind.
Thai guava has bumpy or smooth green skin and white flesh.
Each one of them is safe for dogs to consume but in moderation. Besides, you can feed them dried or fresh guava. But avoid giving them guava paste as it is high in sugar which can be dangerous for dogs.
How to Safely Feed Guava to Dogs?
Here are some steps to follow for serving guava to your pet:
- Wash the fruit thoroughly to remove any dirt or residue from the outside.
- Remove the rind from the fruit using a sharp knife.
- Cut the guava in half and remove all its seeds using a spoon.
- Chop the fruit into small pieces to avoid choking hazards for your pet.
- Monitor your dog while adding any new food item to their diet gradually.
Can dogs eat guava? Yes, but in small amounts. Guava is quite beneficial for dogs as it provides important nutrients. It is crucial for blood clotting and maintaining healthy eyes and bones.
On the other hand, overconsumption of guava can make your pet obese. Additionally, it can cause diarrhea and stomach issues. You can feed your dog a few small pieces of this fruit several times a week.