Table of Contents
Can cats eat sunflower seeds? Sunflower seeds are technically the fruit of the sunflower plant enclosed in a black and white striped shell. They are delicious, highly nutritious, and one of the healthiest snacks.
You may be wondering whether you can give your cat this snack or not. Yes, you can feed sunflower seeds to your cat. Sunflower seeds are harmless to cats, and they are safe to eat. But, a few facts about sunflower seeds should be known to you.
Nutritional Profile Of Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are non-toxic for cats but do they add any nutritional value to the cat’s diet?
Yes, sunflower seeds are enriched with protein, fiber, vitamins E, B3, B5, and B6, and minerals.
These include manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, folate, iron, selenium, and pantothenic acid. They also contain healthy polyunsaturated fat.
Health benefits of sunflower seeds?
- Sunflower seeds are packed with a rich amount of Vitamin E, which helps lower the level of inflammatory proteins in the blood. It aids in reducing inflammation. It is also good for their furry coat.
- Selenium in the sunflower seed acts as an antioxidant and reduces the free radical level. It can save your kitty from chronic diseases.
- Sunflower seeds can act as a savior for your cat from heart diseases. The unsaturated fatty acid, i.e., linoleic acid, produces the compound that softens the blood vessels. It also lowers the cholesterol level in the blood.
- A notable amount of magnesium in the sunflower seed helps lower blood pressure.
- Fibers in sunflower seed can keep your cat’s digestive system healthy.
- Sunflower seeds can help your cat eat more and act as an appetizer.
- Sunflower seeds have pantothenic acid, which helps break down carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Hence, it can help your cat efficiently get energy from vital nutrients.
- Vitamin B3, also known as niacin packed in these seeds, plays a role in DNA repair.
- Iron in the sunflower seed helps the cat’s body to make red blood cells and beat the blood deficiency.
- With the increasing age and growth, cats need protein to keep them active and energetic and strengthen their muscle.
Sunflower seeds have a sufficient amount of protein which can reduce the risk of muscle, ligament, and tendon injuries
How Many Sunflower Seeds Are Safe To Feed?
Can cats eat sunflower seeds? How many sunflower seeds are safe? Any food can be beneficial only when they are fed in a moderate amount. The same is with the sunflower seeds. They should be given as a treat in moderate amount once or twice a week.
Food for Cats: Did You Know?
Felines are not actually picky eaters as one might think. Therefore, we have looked at several different foods and tell you if it’s safe for your cat to eat or not. Like this one: Can Cats Eat Ginger?
Only one or two are given for the very first time. If you find your cat is not allergic to any of the nutrients of sunflower seeds, then you can provide a few once or twice a week.
How Are Cats Fed Sunflower Seed?
Do you want to give sunflower seeds treat to your furry friend but are confused about the best way to feed them? Either with the shell or without the shell. Sunflower seeds in their shell are safe for cat consumption.
It is ideal if you remove the shell. The seed shell is a little sharp. If not appropriately chewed, they can damage the digestive tract. Your pet can injure its mouth while taking off the shell. They are also difficult to digest.
The seeds don’t contain salt. Be careful with your purchase. These seeds should not be seasoned, or flavor added. You should use natural raw sunflower seeds.
Are Sunflower Seeds Lethal For Cats?
Can cats eat sunflower seeds? Are sunflower seeds lethal for cats? No, but excessive feeding of sunflower seeds can lead to fatal conditions. Eating large numbers can cause feces blockage or stomach problems in your kitty.
Other reasons to eat sunflower seed in moderate quantity are the fat content and the presence of heavy metal (cadmium). Cadmium can damage the kidney of your furry friend.
High-fat contents ultimately lead to weight gain as well as upset the stomach resulting in vomiting and diarrhea.
Other symptoms you can notice in your pet after overeating sunflower seeds are behavioral changes, increased water intake, lethargy, dullness, change in litter box habits, increased urination, sleepiness, allergies, and breathing problems.
Conclusion – Can cats eat sunflower seeds?
Are sunflower seeds good for the cat? Can cats eat sunflower seeds? Yes, sunflower seeds are good for cats. Sunflower seeds are extremely nutritious, crunchy, and delicious snacks to give once or twice a week.
They have a variety of health benefits as long as they are free of the added flavors, salts, and preservatives and consumed in moderation.