Can cats eat hummus? Hummus is a creamy, healthy, and tasty snack used as a dip, dish, or spread that humans love to eat. It can also be mixed with other food to make it extra protein-rich.
Hummus is great for humans containing ingredients like chickpeas, garlic, and olive oil. You probably wonder if your cat would like to eat as well. Is it healthy for cats? Can cats eat Hummus?
The simple answer is No. Hummus has very little nutritional value for cats. The main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas which are hard to digest for your cat. It also contains a small amount of garlic, making hummus a potentially toxic snack for cats.
If you really want to know, Can cats eat Hummus? Is it a healthy snack for them too? Here are some interesting facts that you would be keen to know. So, let’s start.
Can Cats Have Hummus?
Let us explain its answer to you, Can cats eat Hummus? Is it safe for them? Let’s first discuss the ingredients of hummus that might be toxic to cats.
- Chickpeas. Cats are naturally carnivores; generally, it is not a routine component of the feline diet. Cats may have difficulty digesting chickpeas which might cause upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Sesame seed paste is not toxic to cats. Still, it is not recommended source of nutrition for your cats.
- Lemons and lemon juice are somewhat harmful to cats as it contains psoralens and other essential oils that might cause diarrhea, depression, and dermatitis.
- Olive oil is rich in fats which may be high for your cat. Even consuming a small amount of olive oil may result in vomiting or diarrhea in cats.
- Garlic contains compounds like disulfides and thiosulphates, which are highly toxic to cats. Even a small amount of garlic can lead to organ damage, organ failure, drooling, and elevated heart. It also increases the felines’ respiratory rate and causes cat coma or death.
- Common herbs and spices like parsley, paprika, jalapenos, dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and cilantro in hummus make it harmful to cats. So, you should avoid giving anything spicy to cats.
- Sodium is another essential ingredient of hummus which is not as bad for cats as other ingredients. But it can cause problems like heart diseases and can make your cat thirsty.
So, cats should not eat hummus as it has very little nutritional value. It contains several ingredients which make hummus toxic to cats and increases health risks in cats.
Do Cats Like Hummus?
Can cats eat Hummus? Your cat might be interested in hummus because she might see you having hummus often. Your feline may not judge that some key ingredients in hummus like chickpeas, garlic, and lime are harmful and make them sick.
So, as a cat owner, you should be careful. If your cat manages to eat some hummus and likes the taste, you should avoid giving more hummus to the cat in the future.
Food for Cats: Did You Know?
Felines are not actually picky eaters as one might think. Therefore, we have looked at several different foods and tell you if it’s safe for your cat to eat or not. Like this one: Can Cats Eat Cooked chicken?
How much hummus is safe to Feed Cats
Can cats eat Hummus? Really, you should avoid feeding any hummus to cats. The key ingredients in hummus like chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, and spices make it highly toxic to cats. If your feline snuck a few licks in, you don’t have anything to worry about.
But, hummus should not be a part of their daily diet, particularly for older or pregnant cats. If you let your feline eat hummus, you must keep an eye on your cat after exposure to symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, appetite loss, or any other unnatural behavior. You also need to talk to your vet if it is important.
Health Risks of Feeding Hummus to Cats
Hummus is terrible for cats. The taste of hummus varies from one place to another. However, the main ingredients in hummus will always have chickpeas and garlic, and both of these are toxic to cats.
The health problems that occur in cats by consuming hummus are:
- Kidney and stomach stones
- Repeated Vomiting
- Reduced appetite
- Excessive tiredness
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Pale gums
- Discolored urine (brown or red)
- Extreme salivation
Can cats eat hummus? No, because Hummus is harmful to cats. Hummus can cause an abundance of problems for felines.
A small amount of hummus will not likely harm your cat, but it’s not beneficial for them either. If fed in a daily routine, it could cause many health problems, including death.